Thursday, October 22, 2009

Currumbin rocks sunrise


Currumbin rocks sunrise, originally uploaded by greenplasticdave.

This was my first visit to Currumbin and I left feeling quite pleased with the shots I'd got. I was even happier after finally getting time to process them and see how they looked.

I tried a mixture of HDR and grads individually then eventually a combination of both. I really wanted to get some movement from the waves in the bracketed exposures so I needed the 0.9 grad to force a longer exposure.

I did get some spray picked up by the sun on the grad but I was able to clone that out later on. Thank goodness :)

This was taken on a Canon EOS 40D with a 17-85mm EFS lens and a Hitec 0.9 hard grad.

HDR was from three exposures [-2,0,+2]. Processed in DPHDR.

Oh yeah and of course it's a pano too from three shots, stitched in PTGui.

Getting out to the rocks was interesting, I thought they were really sharp and jagged looking, certainly not a place one would want to fall over. It was pitch black when I arrived at about 4am and even then a fisherman beat me too it.

Definitely a spot I'll be returning too again.

my website
my blog
facebook
redbubble
twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment